Thursday, January 31, 2013

That Was Somethin

Our last day in Jamaica was quite interesting. We decided to do a little excursion and go snorkeling. We were really excited about it. The whole concept seems so nice. Cruise around the ocean while sipping a little wine, taking in Jamaica then stopping for an hour to explore the beautiful underworld and topping off the excursion by watching the sun go down. It seemed perfect! We were sold the instant we heard about it.
We got on the boat and about 15 minutes in red flags went off. I was a tad thrown off with the extraordinarily loud rap music thumping through the speakers and that they only offered rum punch or beer to drink. I shrugged it off and didn't spend too much time thinking about it. We cruised around the ocean and it was so beautiful. The water was a gorgeous color of blue and being able to see the island of Jamaica from a distance was really cool. After about an hour we anchored to snorkel. Scott didn't want to do it so he stayed on board and took photos while I checked out the beautiful fish below.
I only snorkeled for about 20 minutes. It wasn't as fun without Scott and I guess I'm spoiled by the amazing snorkeling in St Lucia (they have one of the best snorkel spots in the world) so I hopped back on board and joined my husband.
Shortly after, everyone else got the same idea and before we knew it we were off again, sailing into the beautiful Caribbean ocean.
Then things got interesting. The booze became abundant, the rap music was pumping and suddenly a dance party broke out. At first it was funny but after 30 minutes of it Scott and I just couldn't take it anymore. Married couples parted ways and were bumping and grinding (that's using the term loosely) with random strangers. Weed filled the air, people were hanging their heads overboard and hair weaves fell out and were everywhere. I've never seen anything like it. At one point I pulled my phone out and started filming the wild party that was taking place. I didn't even try to be discrete. Scott and I were miserable as were about 6 other couples on board. I felt 87 because I was shocked at the things I was seeing!
I could not wait to get off the boat but since everyone was having such a fabulous time they decided to extend the tour for an extra hour and a half!!!!! Neat. It was then that I decided to make light of the unexpected inappropriateness going on before me and join in on the fun....for a solid 30 seconds.
The boat FINALLY docked and Scott and I were the first ones off. An older gentleman who closely followed behind looked at us and said "Whew! That was somethin wasn't it?" Yes indeed sir.
After that fun little adventure I needed a bottle glass of wine and a relaxing dinner with my husband. We spent the rest of our night reliving the unexpected disaster that ended up being our last day in paradise.


  1. So, did you feel like you were back in El Do for a moment?? Hehe!!

    1. Umm....El Do had nothing on this booze cruise!!!!